• 1985-1998: Erasmus University Rotterdam/Sophia Children’s hospital,
dept. paediatrics and dept. of clinical genetics.
• 1998-2006 IJsselland Hospital, chairman dept paediatrics, vice-president
of de Medical Staff and member of hospital management team.
• Established a dept of paediatrics in the top of national ranking and established
a diabetes centre for children (n=200, average hospital n=50).
• 2006- Co-Fouder of the Diabeter foundation, a new clinic, solely focused
on type 1 diabetes. (Business-case, licence by ministry of health, financial
contracts with all Dutch insurances, IT, PR, etc, all arranged with minor
• 2006- Pediatrician-diabetologist at the National diabetes centre for children
and young adults (Diabeter).
• 2006- chairman of Directory board of Diabeter.
• Honorable member of the medical staff the Erasmus University Rotterdam
and IJsselland Hospital.
• 2008- Opened 2nd Clinic location. Diabeter treats currently more than
800 children and young adults. Patients come from all regions and the
number is still increasing.
Major Research Experience:
• Study of chloride transport in intestinal biopsies of patients with Cystic
Fibrosis (CF) which unmasked the pathophysiological role of different
levels of residual chloride secretions in preserving the clinical
phenotype. Thesis Erasmus University, Rotterdam, NL, 1995).
• Senior Investigator: Alternative chloride secretory pathways bypassing
the CF-defect in the European Twin and Sibling Study for CF, 1997.
• Study of diabetes in cystic fibrosis patients, chloride transport defects
and male infertility.
• Founder of Diabeter clinic in 2006, allowed as a non-profit organization
by the minister of health, design of the business case and contracted
all health insurance companies in the Netherlands.
• Design and all programming tasks of a multidisciplinary Patient Care Database
system (Vcare), a complete paperless patient-record system securing
the patients and centre quality of care.
• Further improvement of clinical outcome in diabetes (i.e CSII, (semi-
)closed loop) promoted also in different Dutch television programs and
planning to start with implementation with support of the largest health
insurance company in the Netherlands.
• Improving the logistic processes of patient care.
• Sustainability of Diabeter, especially research/training future diabetologists.
Research focuses: Toward closed loop systems,  Early detection/treatment of complications / (genetic) risk factors,  Early immune modulation (Current trials: Diamyd, starting extended
Diabeter, Haringvliet 72, 3011 TG Rotterdam.
tel: 010-280-7277 fax: 010-280-9299 e-mail: email@example.com web: www.diabeter.nl
Stichting Diabeter is door VWS toegelaten als medische instelling zonder winstoogmerk en heeft allianties met en verzorgt
consultaties in diverse ziekenhuizen waaronder het ErasmusMC-Sophia.
• John Harries Memorial Prize (European society of Pediatric
Gastroenteology and Nutrition).
• Gastro-enterology Glaxo Research prize.
• Improved Diabetes Care with Vbase (Dutch society of Hospitals (NVZ)).
Memberships : Dutch Society of paediatrics (NVK), ISPAD.
• Award for ‘Best innovative clinic’, Netherlands, 2007.
• Recognized by the Rabobank for good financial planning during growth
and liquidity issues (payments by the insurance system not earlier than 13
months after the start of each year of treatment).